Friday, November 4, 2011

Personal Microderm Device (PMD) Review!

A while back I signed up through a website to try a Personal Microderm device (PMD) and just recently had the chance to do so!

From PMD website
Basically, the PMD is a microdermabrasion device that uses aluminum oxide crystals to exfoliate away excess dead skin cells while using a vacuum-type suction to stimulate the blood flow in your skin to reduce age spots, acne, fine lines, and scars.  The PMD works a little deeper by promoting new collagen growth for softer, more elastic skin! 

Initially when I was contacted to try this product I was a little hesitant as I'm still young (so I don't really have fine lines yet), and do not have any obvious issues with my skin.  However, after trying it, I really think it's a great product for everyone regardless of your skin type.

Here's what the box looks like:


The PMD is a handheld electronic device that comes with various aluminum oxide crystal discs that you can use, depending on your skin type.

The box comes with:
1 personal microderm device
6 exfoliating aluminum oxide discs (2 green for moderate/coarse skin and 4 blue for sensitive skin)
2 caps (for the different sized discs for body and face)
1 filter
1 Instructional CD

Here is what the device looks like (sans discs):

Great size for traveling!  You can also see the filters in the background
Here are two of the discs:

The small and large discs in blue (for more sensitive skin)

The PMD comes with 6 different disks in two sizes.  The smaller sizes are for your face and hard to reach areas and the large ones are for your chest, hands, feet, or wherever else you have dry skin needing removal!  They also come in three different colors, blue (sensitive skin), green (medium skin), and red (coarse skin); although this starter kit only comes with blue and green.  They recommend you to start off with the more sensitive blue disc just to see how your body reacts to the device.

Here's what the device looks like when put together:



After watching the instructional video (which is absolutely NECESSARY to watch!) and washing and drying my face, I was ready to go!

I was surprised to find out that this device isn't JUST for your face, you can pretty much use it anywhere!

I tested it out on my arm first to check the suction and tried it on my face initially with the large blue disc.  It warns you not to hold the device in one place for too long or you could get scratched with the disc/vacuum combo.  The amount of suction coming from this small thing surprised me at first and it actually kind of hurt my face.  So I switched to the smaller blue disc and it worked much better for me and was far less painful.  But basically you just stretch you skin out and pretty much "vacuum" your face.

This is obviously not me, but you get the jist of how this works!

When you're all done you simply apply toner of your choice to neutralize your skin's pH levels and then a moisturizer and voila, you're done!  It only took me about 5 minutes once I got the hang of it.

They say to use it only once a week for 10-12 weeks to fully minimize your fine lines, age spots, and acne spots.  I've only had the chance to use it once so far but you immediately notice the effects even after the first treatment.  Since my skin is a little on the sensitive side it was a little pink after I finished the treatment, but my skin was so soft!

It's definitely a night-time or weekend routine since you shouldn't apply make-up right after using the device.

Overall I'm definitely impressed with the product as I could tell immediately afterward that my skin was feeling much softer and overall more "fresh."  Rejuvenated?  I don't know, my face just felt taught and happy. 

The only downside (for me) to this is the price.  It retails for $179 on their website www.personalmicroderm.com, and you have to buy refills of the discs for $14.99 (for 6).  They say you should use a new disc after every 2-3 treatments depending on how long you take for each treatment.   

Now since I don't really have issues with my skin $179 seems absurd to me, but I can see how it would be worth it to people with a lot of wrinkles or acne spots!  It's especially worth it when you consider the fact that a professional microdermabrasion process costs much much more.  I'll definitely keep using the one I've got since I can get at least 18 treatments out of the discs I have and I guess I'll let you guys know in the future if I get more refills :)


Have you guys tried any of these microdermabrasion devices?  What are your secrets to getting rid of dry skin?

Thanks to the ladies at PMD who agreed to send me this device for review!

<3 Whitney